Tuesday, February 28, 2006

St. Patricks Festival Committee Pottery Commission Update

Yesterday I got into the studio as soon as I got home. First I added the last ingredient, the Copper Carbonate, to the live glaze batch. Then I organized all the pots from 1 to 100 to see what was missing if any. I had two pots that I had used for testing so I had to take 2 from my reserve and add the sequence number to the bottom and put them out for drying. I have another 8 drying that are replacements for some that had to be used for testing and 3 more where the wax got on them in the wrong places that I will re-bisque for a total of 13 pots that are waiting to be re-bisqued. I have one that I used Sunday in the test glaze firing which is okay and is finished. I then started glazing 38 of the pots. First I had to pour the glaze into each of the pots then pour it out while swirling it around to coat the inside of each of the pots. Then I dipped the top part of each pot and then went back and dipped the bottom part, then the top again and then the bottom again to get 2 coats on each pot. It took until around 7:30 to get all of them glazed and to wipe off any excess glaze. I started the firing at 7:40 which meant that it would be 11:40 when I set the switches to high and could go to bed. I will check the ones I fired last night when I get home because they were still too hot this morning and it will take most of the day for them to cool off. I took about a 30 minute break to warm up and eat a bowl of chili. Then I went back out and then glazed the 48 remaining pots. I finished those just before 10:00. Those will get fired tonight if the ones from last night are okay.

No comments: