Friday, February 24, 2006

Feb 15 - St. Patricks Festival Committee Pottery Commission Update


Sorry I haven't updated in so long. I've been working every night during the week and most of the day on weekends on this project. I have now thrown just over 80 pots.

Last Saturday afternoon I made up 5 test batches of 2 separate emerald green glazes. I remade the original glaze using 90%, 80% and 70% of the colorants and a new glaze using 100% and 80% of the colorants. I fired 8 pots using the test glazes on Sunday afternoon. I used the last of the test pots I had thrown earlier using red clay and 4 tumblers made with white clay. The new glaze didn't look good at all. The old remade glaze looked okay on the white clay but were not thick enough for the red clay so I will test again using a thicker application of glaze as soon as I can get some dry pots bisque fired.

This week I have been trimming some of the pots that were dry enough. So far I have trimmed just over 40 pots and also 4 or 5 that I will use for retesting the glaze. I still nned to throw about 30 more pots and will start back on that tonight.

I feel like I am coming down with a chest cold as my chest feels tight. I don't have time to be sick right now since I am supposed to be through with this project by March 1.

No comments: