Friday, February 24, 2006

Feb 24- St. Patricks Festival Committee Pottery Commission Update

Wednesday night I was up to 11:30 doing a bisque firing for 40+ of the commission pots plus a batter bowl I had thrown recently.

Thursday night I waxed and glazed 4 test pots and the batter bowl. I thinned down each version of the Emerald Green glaze and made them where the specific gravity of each was different by a couple of points. The specific gravity measures the or weight or thickness of the of a glaze. You take a bottle with a small neck, in my case an old plastic Sprite bottle, and get the weight of water and then you weigh the glaze in the same container and divide it's weight by the weight of the water and that gives you your specific gravity. Doing this and keeping up with it will tell you where the glaze fires best at. I double dipped each of the little pots twice on the top and just once on the rest of it. I got the firing started at 7:30 and was up again last night at 11:30 to turn the switches to high. I won't know how they came out until I get home this afternoon. Keep your fingers crossed.

No comments: