Sunday, September 24, 2006

Horse Hair Firing

I've been doing a lot of throwing since my last entry and finally got around to doing some horse hair firing yesterday. I did 3 firing of 2 pots each and only got 2 pots to come out okay. I had bisque fired the pots to cone 014 and the ones that didn't come out okay had cracks. I will re-bisque fire the ones fired earlier and a couple of others to a higher cone and see if that will help eliminate the cracks. The first two pictures are of the same pot from opposite sides.



2 comments:

Jeffrey R. Guin said...

Nice forms and beautiful horsehair. Would love to hear more about your process. Maybe some helpful hints for us enthusiasts? Keep the hair 'a burnin'.

Christi said...

Hello I was wondering if I can translucent glaze over the horse hair technique. I use cone 6 clay and bisque fire cone 5 which would work for the horse hair. I would like to find a way to seal it with glaze at the cone 6 do you think that would work?